Microgrids augment the traditional approach of central national electricity grids with local control and local power generation thus reducing transmission losses, lowering energy cost, and insulating communities from external disruption. Problems faced by communities when implementing microgrids are (1) a lack of accessible tools to manage and control the grid at a micro-level; and (2) a lack of education.
The Community-based Sustainable Energy: Combining wireless systems, smart micro-generation and education workshop will bring together specialists, to discuss the issues and potential solutions of micro-grids, from three domains: wireless sensing and embedded computing; renewable energy; and social scientists. The aims of the workshop are to (1) inform the development of wireless devices and tools to support integrated community-based microgrids and microgeneration control; (2) map the current gaps in education and technology that make them inaccessible or difficult to apply.
Under the Researcher Links scheme offered within the Newton Fund, the British Council, CNPq and CONFAP/FAPESP a workshop on the above theme will be held in Florianópolis, Brazil (at UFSC Smart Solar Building), between February 15th and 20th. The workshop is being coordinated by Prof. Elena Gaura (Coventry University, UK) and Prof. Dr. Antônio Augusto Fröhlich (Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil), and will have contributions from other leading researchers Dr. André Ramos (UFSC), Dr. James Brusey (Coventry), Dr. John Halloran (Coventry), Dr. Ricardo Rüther (UFSC).
We are now inviting Early Career Researchers (PhD obtained in less than 10 years), from the UK and Brazil, to attend and this workshop. It is expected Early Career Researchers applicants will be from three key scientific areas: renewable energy, wireless sensing, and social sciences. Participation is free and successful applicants will receive all expenses covering travel and accommodation incurred for attending.
Submission deadline: Dec 24, 2015 (BRT)
Notification of acceptance: Dec 28, 2015
ComSE Workshop: Feb 15-20, 2016
- Feb 09, 2016: Points of interest in Jurerê for ComSE'16 attendees..
- Feb 09, 2016: ComSE Brochure/Proceedings is available for downloading.
- Jan 16, 2016: Disponível formulário de inscrição para alunos de escolas.
- Jan 14, 2016: ComSE 2016 Proceedings is available.
- Dec 29, 2015: Information for Participants is launched.
- Nov 25, 2015: Call for Participation is launched.
- Nov 23, 2015: Preliminary Workshop Program is available.
- Nov 18, 2015: Community-based Sustainable Energy: Combining wireless systems, smart micro-generation and education (ComSE) website is launched.